Friday, April 2, 2010

Today I Appreciate My Job

So... there have been times over the last few months that I have REALLY wanted to quit my job. For real. But, today was not one of those days. For a few reasons.

First, we had THREE people come in wanting to fill out job applications. Two CNAs and one RN. We aren't hiring. But it just reminds me how much it sucks to be looking for a job right now. I already knew this, as I've been keeping an eye out for a Phlebotomy position. But... I'm so glad that I have a job! It's really hard. Especially in this valley where there are 3+ colleges/universities with students who will work for tiny wages, etc. I'm SUPER glad since Jake hasn't been able to find a job since we moved back here last June. So at least one of us is able to bring in some moneys to offset the student loans.

Secondly, I had a little bit of time at the end of my shift that reminded me that I really do enjoy what I get to do. We got a new patient today and right before my shift ended (my TWELVE HOUR shift, I'd like to add), her husband came down to our desk and asked if we could come help with some stuff. As I was walking down to her room, I saw the girl who was arriving for the next shift come through the front door. Because I knew they weren't short handed or anything, I was able to take my time working with this patient and getting to talk with her and her husband for a few minutes. It reminded me why I'm in this business after all. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment